Ratepayer and Taxpayer Representation
Benink & Slavens, LLP. is California's premier Proposition 218 and Proposition 26 law firm. It has successfully prosecuted dozens of lawsuits against local cities, towns, and special districts on behalf of ratepayers and taxpayers throughout the state. Benink & Slavens has extensive experience challenging:
- Inequitable water and sewer rates
- Hidden surcharges embedded in utility rates
- Diversion of utility fees to fund general governmental operations
- Property assessments that burden property owners but benefit the public
- Mello-Roos Districts and special taxes
- PBIDs (Property and Business Improvement District)
- Surcharges disguised as "franchise fees"
- Failure to respond to Pubic Records Act requests
We handle many other types of cases, which you can learn about here.
Time to act?
The statute of limitations to challenge government conduct is often short -- as little as 30 days in some circumstances. And your right to file a lawsuit often requires you to first seek relief from the government directly. We can assist you in navigating these difficult issues.